Filing taxes for the first time in a foreign country can be confusing, especially if you are not familiar with their system or the language. With the video and instructions below, you can follow the process and learn how to file your personal income taxes online in Panama.
Part 1: Log In
Your first step is to find the tax office website and log in. The Ministry of Economics and Finances oversees the General Department of Income or Dirección General de Ingresos. This department is commonly referred to as the DGI.
- Visit the DGI Website, here
- Click DGI EN LÍNEA
- This button will open a new page called, eTax2.0
- You may need to allow popups depending on your browser
- Select the orange button that says INCIAR SESIÓN
- Enter your USARIO/RUC
- Enter you NIT
- Select “No soy un robot.”
- Select the pictures that match the word provided, if requested
- If you are not sure which type of images you need to select, please visit Google Translate to see the meaning in your preferred language.
- Select the orange button that says INGRESAR
Part 2: Complete the Form
Your next step is to find and open the tax declaration form.
- On the left side of your screen, select the grey and white icon that shows a piece of paper and a pencil. This will bring up a menu.
- Select the option that says DECLARACIONES JURADAS Y DOCUMENTOS
- SelectPRESENTAR DECLARACIÓN JURADA
- Under PARAMETROS DE PRESENTACIÓN, make sure the RUC, DV, and CONTRIBUYENTE fields are completed.
- Under DECLARACIÓN select 1-DECLARACIÓN JURADA DE RENTAS PERSONAS NATURALES, ASALARIADOS, PROFESIONALES INDEPENDIENTES Y COMERCIANTES
- Under PERIODICIDAD, select ANNUAL
- In AÑO select the year which you are filing taxes for (e.g., 2018)
- Select ACEPTAR
Part 3: Verify Information Tax Declaration
This will open a new page where you can make your tax declaration. You need to verify that all of the information in the drop-down menus is correct. For a standard filing, you should select the following options:
- Under SISTEMA CONTABLE, select RECIBIDO
- Verify the PERIODO INCIAL and PERIODO FINAL
- Under TIPO DE DECLARACIÓN, select NORMAL
- Under NORMAS CONTABLES, select NIIF
- Under TIPO DE PRESENTACION, select ORIGINAL
Part 4: Submit Your Application
Almost there! Your next step will be to enter your income and submit your tax declaration.
- In the first line below the blue bar that says INGRESOS, you need to enter your salary and other taxable compensation.
- Select PRESENTAR to submit your tax report.
If you still have questions or are not sure how to file different types of income, you may need to contact an accountant or attorney for personalized advising. If your income is from sources such as investments, real estate, bitcoin, or offshore, you may need to submit your declaration differently.
Contact Kraemer & Kraemer for answers to your tax questions and to learn how you can file your return.